+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are competitors clicking on your PPC ads?

Are competitors clicking on your PPC ads?

Maybe...just maybe.

I used google's "ban IP" tool, to ban 3 competitors. Its only been running for 5 days.

I checked 4 full days of ads and compared that 4 day period to prior weeks back to the beginning of the year.

Our clicks were less; our cost was less than average....our click through rate was less. It appears to have dropped costs by about $5/day.

Any experience with this?

How did you find your competitor's ip addresses?

I like that question, RP: It makes me realize some are missing as many synapses as me

how to find ip address of a url - Google Search

Pardon a hokie lad like myself, but I'm a little confused. Is the idea that you're banning your ads from appearing on competitor's sites because, presumably, it's your competitors and not regular visitors who are clicking the ads?

If so, this seems like it could be the whole thing with the nose and face and spite etc. Banning the ads could also prevent regular Joes with cash in pocket from seeing your web presentation.

When you banned the ads did your number of impressions remain the same? Even if so, the particular sites that the ads were banned from could be more conducive to clicking.... I see some variables here.

kf

Quote Originally Posted by earlpearl View Post
    Maybe...just maybe.

I used google's "ban IP" tool, to ban 3 competitors. Its only been running for 5 days.

I checked 4 full days of ads and compared that 4 day period to prior weeks back to the beginning of the year.

Our clicks were less; our cost was less than average....our click through rate was less. It appears to have dropped costs by about $5/day.

Any experience with this?
    MULDER: Dr. Varnes believes this burst of energy is responsible for the transformational nature of the experience.

KBF:

The tool bans the ads from being seen by certain IP's. It doesn't reduce the number of times the ads are run anywhere. In other words suppose the competitors are just clicking away on our ads and running up our bill. This should prevent them from doing so....at least from their offices/place of business.

Since doing this clicks are down a bit....impressions are down a bit.....% click through is down a bit as are costs over the 4 day test period as compared to same 4 days of the week over the first 13 weeks of the year.

Not hugely just a marginal difference. Its too small and too percentage wise insignificant so far to see if there is a big difference.

Basically all we are trying to do is to keep competitors from clicking on our ads and spending our money.

lol - I know how to find the IP address for a website. I'm wondering how do you know your competitors are finding your ads from their own sites (unless they're running adsense on their sites)? It's pretty unusual for the website ip address to be the same as the ip address of the schmuck behind a desk clicking your ads. Plus, they could be clicking from home. Or the library. Or a friends house. Or the local internet cafe.

At least, that's what I do to my competitors. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Paulson View Post
    lol - I know how to find the IP address for a website. I'm wondering how do you know your competitors are finding your ads from their own sites (unless they're running adsense on their sites)? It's pretty unusual for the website ip address to be the same as the ip address of the schmuck behind a desk clicking your ads. Plus, they could be clicking from home. Or the library. Or a friends house. Or the local internet cafe.

At least, that's what I do to my competitors. :P
    ROFLMAO @ RP

I don't know that for sure, RP. I just figure the dudes are sitting in their offices running searches and clicking away on our ads spending our (my money).....for all I know the sunovaguns are going to the local internet cafe w/ you, downing latte's, sharing in knitting secrets w/ you....and both of you are clicking away on my ads.

I just don't think they are as savvy as you, dude.

Hey, I look at it like this - if you ban an IP and your costs go down and your conversion rate increases, BAM! (as Emeril would say )

Now, if your sure you have the right ips I would ban one at a time and monitor/track performance to find which one is guilty, document it then sue his ass off.

Hmm. Even if someone has a website, isn't his home/office IP different from the IP of the hosting provider? For example, my site is hosted in Texas (I think), while I'm 15000km from there. How do you find my IP to ban me?

In fact, the only way for someone to share an IP with the website, if he is using the same gateway/server, where his site is hosted on. Are you sure your competitiors host their sites on their own services in their offices? It's a rare thing to do, I think (though I've seen it done in companies).

That being said, if it's not your competitor, who is using the same IP as their server?
    Yura

To clarify, and I may be making it worse, but I believe that its more of an assumption that its competitors as its the same IP that keeps clicking the PPC ads. Its not something where he is tracking them through their website hes just seeing the same ads clicked by the same people over and over again.

I THINK... I could be wrong though... Its been known to happen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast