+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: After taxes... what would you do with $1,000,000 USD

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by jstcrzyengh
    I vote the party is in Vegas
    Why can't we do that now?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Inverness, FL
    Posts
    2,380
    $1,000,000 after taxes? Hmm...

    $900,000 to the church first.
    $100,000 used to first pay of debts, second, put down a down payment on a decent house, anything left goes to a newer car
    God knows where you are, but Google may not. SEO is the key that unlocks search engine success (and a plugin isn't enough).

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by jrothra
    $1,000,000 after taxes? Hmm...

    $900,000 to the church first.
    $100,000 used to first pay of debts, second, put down a down payment on a decent house, anything left goes to a newer car
    Um you sure you dont have that backwards? isnt it 10% tithes not "Everything you possibly can" lol

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by jstcrzyengh
    Um you sure you dont have that backwards? isnt it 10% tithes not "Everything you possibly can" lol
    Yeah. He's the minister. Thats why he's keeping the 10% for himself.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Inverness, FL
    Posts
    2,380
    10% is the tithe, required (though some say this requirement is not in play and they have a strong Biblical argument). Anything above that is the offering. In the Bible times, they were giving up as much as 30% of their income to the temple, 40+% if you include taxes and stuff.

    Why would I give 90% to the church? Well, I would view it as my giving back to God since he blessed me with so much. I don't need that much, would keep 10% and give God the other 90% as a way to say thank you.

    Others are not obligated to believe as I believe... I'm only explaining why I would give so much away (it is out of character for humans).
    God knows where you are, but Google may not. SEO is the key that unlocks search engine success (and a plugin isn't enough).

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by jrothra
    10% is the tithe, required (though some say this requirement is not in play and they have a strong Biblical argument). Anything above that is the offering. In the Bible times, they were giving up as much as 30% of their income to the temple, 40+% if you include taxes and stuff.

    Why would I give 90% to the church? Well, I would view it as my giving back to God since he blessed me with so much. I don't need that much, would keep 10% and give God the other 90% as a way to say thank you.

    Others are not obligated to believe as I believe... I'm only explaining why I would give so much away (it is out of character for humans).
    I didnt know God needed the money



    (I know what you meant though) but the flip side of it is couldnt it be God giving you the million for you to use and rewarding you for faithful service? I guess at that point is when I would be more the optimist

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,528
    That is kind of what I was thinking too. Don't you get paid by the church? And is it a percentage of the offerings?

    If so, then let's say that someone dropped $100,000,000 in the basket one Sunday (I know, big basket), or however much so that YOUR portion was $1,000,000. Then what would you do with it?

    -Michael
    Free Image Meta Search
    SEO Tools
    Poetry

    Blog Smackdown!
    Skitz is very clear about what behaviour caused him to start this site up. His ego is way too big and fully engaged - rmccarley

    It was just too much text. I couldn't read it. - rmccarley

    I'm not a prosecutor, but Dave thinks I should play one on T.V.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    online
    Posts
    5,608
    I dont know how jroth's church works but I've yet to meet a pastor who's pay is a percentage of the offerings.

    I think at some point you certainly reach a point where you have so much money that you dont need that much and are able to give a ton away. If I remember correctly Bill Gates gives away like 90% of his income and I think Warren Buffet just gave away like 85% of his fortune.

    Oh, and I think I'd also like to buy a top of the line home theater system too. I'm pretty sure I'm well into my third mil or so...

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Inverness, FL
    Posts
    2,380
    Quote Originally Posted by jstcrzyengh
    I didnt know God needed the money



    (I know what you meant though) but the flip side of it is couldnt it be God giving you the million for you to use and rewarding you for faithful service? I guess at that point is when I would be more the optimist
    Quote Originally Posted by mvandemar
    That is kind of what I was thinking too. Don't you get paid by the church? And is it a percentage of the offerings?

    If so, then let's say that someone dropped $100,000,000 in the basket one Sunday (I know, big basket), or however much so that YOUR portion was $1,000,000. Then what would you do with it?

    -Michael
    To answer both: it's a matter of three things: faith, love, and priorities. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

    BTW... out of respect of this forum and those in it, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions, but prefer to do it via PM or email jrothra@sbcglobal.net (so as not to get into 'preaching' in here, unless the mods/admins have no problem with it).
    Last edited by jrothra; 07-02-2006 at 06:09 PM.
    God knows where you are, but Google may not. SEO is the key that unlocks search engine success (and a plugin isn't enough).

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    33
    You know, I am really far from gaming and I have always thought that this sphere is far from me. But I was mistaken. Recently I have read more about brokers in Canada and they turned out to have always been near me. So, it is was a surprise but I am not going to change anything now but this was interesting to know

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts