+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 50% Google Searches Unique

50% Google Searches Unique

This article from SEW, Google estimates that nearly half of all searches are one of a kind. May be time to experiment with new marketing ideas.

http://searchenginewatch.com/searchd...le.php/3579396

I would still suspect that most unique searches are made up mostly of combinations of common keywords and/or company names. So traditional SEO would still be helpful there. I figure unique searches are the only way my site gets found (at least until skitz finishes get done working it over).

I also read that, SEN. I've checked my logs and the logs of some other sites in depth.

For my business site there were something like 30,000 searches last year with about 17,000+ showing only one time. So wierd. Looking at that closer and all the 2's and 3's and there is a lot of theme connection to the searches...but many ways the same term can be spelled or searched: ie keyword-keyword-keyword; (keywordkeyword) keyword; misspelled keyword keyword keyword, etc.

While there are an unusually high number of single searches...many of them are related to the main term...just a myriad of spelling and punctuation variations on the theme.

Of course after you go through the ones that are theme oriented...then are still a ton of wierd single searches that are unrelated...just not as many as first glance suggests.

Dave

The point around search starting general and then going specific is a good one and can be seen in my own logs. It's like knowledge levels. But I think the examples with locations and company names are a bit deceptive. Sure that happens, but it also happens for much more ambigious terms.

In my logs I have a KW that I'll rename "widgets" for this example (the same pattern applies to other KWs as well).
    • free widgets
    • free widget
    • get widgets
    • getting widgets
    • how to get widgets
    • getting adjective widgets
    • widget noun
    • adjective widgets
    • sprockets and cogs widgets
    • how quick do you get widgets with company?
    • noun widgets
    • cogs widgets and adjective
    • widget submision
    • get free widgets
    • free adjective widgets
    • free adjective widgets
    • how to get a noun of widgets
    • sprocket widgets
    • how to get more widgets
    • widgets profession

The most popular terms with multiple searches are at the top and pretty general (everyone wants something for free). But as it goes on it gets pretty specific. Especially at "sprockets and cogs widgets". Then at the end it gets pretty obscure. That's the stuff that isn't obvious to optimize for and you really wouldn't anyway because the amount of traffic doesn't justify the effort and cost.

That's why completeness of information is so important. Not only will you rank well for the general, popular KW but you'll also pick up all the wierd stuff you'd never think of. And those are the KWs that convert!

As mentioned in the article, the more general the search phrase the more investigative the searcher. They aren't ready to purchase. But when they start typing "how to get a noun of widgets" they are looking for something specific - they already have the background knowledge, now they are looking for someone to fill their need.

Personally, I put all my search terms in a spread sheet and then mark them by catagory in a new column. This gives me a better understanding of trends appearing for some KWs and gives me progress on others.

Here's a thought: do you think that Googles sandbox gives new web sites an advantage for converting search terms over sites out of the box that rank well for the general term?

Think about it. It gets pretty twisted. It's hard (for me) to think of the sandbox as doing any good for a web site, including increasing the conversion ratio.

Also, this is why related terms are so important.
    |
    Clue in soon!

+ Reply to Thread