+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is SMM (social media marketing) better than SEO?

Is SMM (social media marketing) better than SEO?

Hello

I am new here but I have some experience of both SEO and SMM, I am working as web mkt. executive with Wisitech. I have noticed that for short term visitors/leads oriented projects SMM seems to be better strategy than SEO. What’s your take on it.

I think it depends on the niche - I think some niches are more or less impervious to seo, such as mom and dad blogs - all of the most popular blogs in this niche are impossible to find via Google search, yet they get staggering traffic, all because of the social side of web marketing.

Welcome to the forums, Shobhna

As Robert said, it depends on the niche.

It also depends on how you use social media. Some might say that diligent social media brings SEO results, too, if you do it with awesome, link-worthy content and tools.

That being said, you still need SEO to benefit from social media, too. It all works together.

Just as in the case of the recent Seth's write up, you need to do all things well: SEO and branding, and in your case it's social media and SEO.
    Yura

Welcome: I took a look at your company site. You'll probably do some of both.

Both work. IMHO, seo is sort of like a super yellow pages in the traditional sense that when people looked for a business or service in the yellow pages they looked for a category and contacted businesses off those lists. They already had some "buying intent" in mind and then called. Search is like that. Optimizing for the "buying intent" phrases is powerful.

Social media is like the super version of everyone you know telling you that some product or service is the best you can find (super word of mouth). All those wonderful testimonials make that product/service sound great. If you become interested in that product/service you are apt to go the one reccomended by everyone.

Social media is growing and can do much more.

Good luck with both.

Is it better to eat apples or oranges?

Food is food. Some foods feed different aspects of your total needs better. SEO and SMM both fall under the "marketing" umbrella. When done well, you can get better results from both by getting them to compliment each other. Call it your "online marketing fruit salad".

and There's a new recipe for you!
    |
    Clue in soon!

Quote Originally Posted by rmccarley View Post
    Is it better to eat apples or oranges?

Food is food. Some foods feed different aspects of your total needs better. SEO and SMM both fall under the "marketing" umbrella. When done well, you can get better results from both by getting them to compliment each other. Call it your "online marketing fruit salad".

and There's a new recipe for you!
    Thx to all the replies and comments and yes rmccarley you are right, for long term projects SEO, SMM and SEM all needs to be done side by side for best results (our team leader at wisitech keeps saying so, only it increases the workload, but no issues good results takes care of all that) but for seasonal or short term projects such as marketing an event or contest SMM seems to be the best strategy.

Yeah SEO and SMM, both are co related. Both are being done for the improvement of a site. Here i mean both are equally important.

They are related, I see a size in SERPs when I use SMM, but it takes around 7 days for full effect.

I would suggest working on both as time allows. You need SEO to reach the visitors who are looking for your product or service and you need SMM to reach the potential visitors who may not have thought of your product or service, but are looking to make connections to help them get the answers they need. Some examples would be using Question and Answer sites such as Yahoo answers and trying to target posts within your niche. Let me know if that helps. You can check out our site if you need more help.

they both fall as Web Promotion in my own opinion.
    I love wine and beer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast