+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Web 2.0 (My 1000th (+1) Post)

Web 2.0 (My 1000th (+1) Post)

What is Web 2.0? This is the question right now. So let's answer it.

(Note before I begin: I know a lot about this, but never articulated it well. A few days ago I attended a seminar by a VP at a top strategy consulting firm that very lucidly articulated it. A lot of what I'll write now will use his approach but I'll be fleshing it out more than he did - a lot more flesh.)

Web 2.0 is about four different interacting things (the guy said 3, but he missed one):

1. Community. This is the most obvious one. Community is basically interaction between members, between websites, and between the website admins and its members. In the old days, we had the BBS and then IRC and then forums. Now it's more of the same, but also extended in one crucial way: we are happy to share without claiming ownership. The best example is Wikipedia: no one claims copyright control over it, and so we are breaking the traditional authorship rights. When we contribute to Wikipedia, anyone can read our contribution, anyone can copy it, anyone can edit, and dang it, anyone can delete it. This is very new.

The other new thing is voting. Now we have popularity contests of our contributions. Our forums have reps, delicious has the popular lists, and of course digg is the ultimate voting system. If you think hard, you can also convince yourself, Google's PageRank is essentially an algorithm that measures social popularity (link = vote).

2. Technology. Here we talk about XML, APIs, new content management systems like blogs and wikis, and if you're that inclined, sure, AJAX. The new technologies support the formation of communities and the interactions I explained above. XML gives us RSS and AJAX. APIs are a more general term that gives us mashups, and arguably, everything else. Basically, it's the use of standard technologies everyone agrees on. This, IMHO, is the biggest "technological" breakthrough: actually agreeing on a technical standard!!!

3. Architecture. This is best described by the Cluetrain Manifesto as:
    The Web has become the new corporate infrastructure, in the form of intranets, turning massive corporate hierarchical systems into collections of many small pieces loosely joining themselves unpredictably.
    Essentially, we're talking about a more modular way to build applications. The (re)rise of Ruby on Rails and MVC model, along with other frameworks like CakePHP, is testament to this aspect of Web 2.0

4. Look. Every movement has a look: the 60s, the 80s, and now Web 2.0. Long gone are square boxes with plain boring color. No man, bring on the colors. Give me some jive. Don't be square. Lively and fresh is what we are. Why be something else? And yes, white space is great.

So this is Web 2.0 in a nutshell. Web 2.5 is in beta now and will be released shortly.

Apologies for NOT answering the original questions (I'll do so later). In the meantime:
    [shameless plug]
    My blog
    [/shameless plug]

Pierre
    Last edited by Wit; 02-27-2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Congratz from me too. (+tiny fix)
    eKstreme.com - Are your keywords buzzing?
    Blog of science - learn something new today!

Anyone have a 2.5 beta invite to spare?

Very good,

It wont let me rep you

D
    Why did God make me so sexy?

EK, I think you're the first ever to have their 1,000th post dugg.

Congrats man!

I flew out today and now I'm back online, I find my post has 12000+ views. Thanks for visiting everyone, and if you have any questions or bones to pick, please post them here. I would love to start a debate.

And to answer the common question found in the digg comments: yes the end line about Web 2.5 is sarcasm, a little tribute to the fluff also surrounding Web 2.0. I do NOT think Web 2.0 is hype, but it's an umbrella term for all the things I mentioned in my original post, but obviously there is some hand waving going on. Hence the sarcasm

Pierre

Because of the Web 2.5 controversy I joined Digg today.

Now I am a Digger! And this post was my first digg.

D
    Why did God make me so sexy?

Doug the Digger? Nice.

Edit: or... diggdoug? Or diggdugg?

Apparently this post spent some time on the front page of delicious today attracting another 470 visits or so.

+ Reply to Thread