+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How frequently site content should be updated?

How frequently site content should be updated?

Hi Friends,

As I heard apart from link buildings and keywords, Google need content of site should be updated regularly.

What is strategy for updated content?
    Do we need to add extra pages?
    Extra pages can increase rank for existing pages?

Do we need to add more content in existing pages after regular interval?
    How frequently existing pages should be updated?

Please provide all advise related to updating content for site on regular interval.

Thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <snip>
    Last edited by Wit; 12-05-2008 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Removed 'fake' sig

Just fresh content doesn't do much.

Total amount of targeted deep links with anchor text matters much more. Lots of rich content helps, too.

Thus, it'd be wise to simply keep developing link-worthy content and promoting it. It'll provide the tint of freshness your website needs.

In fact, having longer pieces of articles will get you more traffic (long-tail), than the freshness factor.

Also, I think that the freshness factor only ranks up your page higher the moment it's indexed. Later on, when it's updated, it doesn't matter: its position settles according to the amount and quality of links it gets.
    Yura

David,

content is one of the key thing that as optimizer we have to be very careful. these are things which play as catalyst inside the search blackbox. also this becomes far more important as you would have noted that Google has just changed the search algorithm. this has lots to do with the content and the keywords. check - websearchlab.blogspot.com to know how the content and keywords are handled in the new algorithm.

to answer for your query

What is strategy for updated content?

the strategy according to me for any content development is focus, clarity, and has a good density of the keyword. this is like a linked chain, any page has to be optimized for relevancy of the page, and keywords has to be linked to the content to increase the search volume and also the keyword density of the content. so to say again the strategy for any updated content is stay focussed.

Do we need to add extra pages?

Adding more pages has advantages and disadvantages. from the context of targeted user, adding relevant pages increases the page views and also the page/visit. which means we can make the user to stick on to the site for long time. but in teh current context if the keyword search density is low and the content relevancy is bad, it will increase the bounce rate for all landing user to that additional pages. so its better to keep focussed and have necessary pages instead of adding more pages.

this is how page rank is calculated

PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + ... + PR(Tn)/C(Tn))

where
    PR(A) is the PageRank of page A,
    PR(Ti) is the PageRank of pages Ti which link to page A,
    C(Ti) is the number of outbound links on page Ti and
    d is a damping factor which can be set between 0 and 1.

if you have three pages internally linked then the page rank works like this

PR(A) = 0.5 + 0.5 PR(C)
    PR(B) = 0.5 + 0.5 (PR(A) / 2)
    PR(C) = 0.5 + 0.5 (PR(A) / 2 + PR(B))

this would now make you understand that larger the quality pages, higher the page rank. so if you want to take in volume perspective, higher the pages which are sticking to the concept and has high viewership and stickiness to site, higher will be the page rank.

Do we need to add more content in existing pages after regular interval?

see how far the content is optimized or focussed to the existence of that page. or you can use the keyword density finder and then increase the targeted content. but as the content increases, then the user tends to distract, short and crisp content has better audience. Web psychologist and strategist like me would advise crisp content bulleted and bolded wherever needed to give the initial attention to the user. so that visitor sticks and then gets the feel of the whole of the page.

How frequently existing pages should be updated?

this is a very difficult question to answer, probably better answer may be - you feel that you dont have the wow factor for the visitor for the current text, or till the focus for that page is changed.

Check about web psychology and how to keep the user's attention

Sathish Sampath
    Last edited by sathishsampath; 12-07-2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Delinked, including "signature"

Yura is correct in his post, content by itself won't do much (although without content to link to, then of course deep links won't have anywhere to go).

Sathish, aside from any other issues I might have with your post, I do want to address one thing that you said:

Quote Originally Posted by sathishsampath View Post

this is how page rank is calculated

{snip}

this would now make you understand that larger the quality pages, higher the page rank.
    The way you present this you leave people with (and might even have yourself) the impression that you can increase your own PageRank by simply adding more pages to your website. This is absolutely incorrect.

One of the factors not explained in the PageRank equation is that Google has 2 indexes. While it is true that they did make the supplemental index more searchable, it is still a separate index. Links from pages in the supp index will not add significant, if any, PageRank to the pages they link to. This means that if a page does not have enough PageRank then it can not pass PageRank on itself.

Saying that you can increase the PageRank of your site just by adding more pages is like suggesting that you can pull yourself up by your own shoelaces. It just doesn't work like that.

-Michael
    Free Image Meta Search
    SEO Tools
    Poetry

Blog Smackdown!
    Skitz is very clear about what behaviour caused him to start this site up. His ego is way too big and fully engaged - rmccarley

It was just too much text. I couldn't read it. - rmccarley

I'm not a prosecutor, but Dave thinks I should play one on T.V.

David, perhaps you'd also share what you have found on other forums? I have noticed that you asked in quite a number of other places.

It'd be interesting to hear from you what you've learned and what you are planning to do.
    Yura

Quote Originally Posted by A.N.Onym View Post
    David, perhaps you'd also share what you have found on other forums? I have noticed that you asked in quite a number of other places.

It'd be interesting to hear from you what you've learned and what you are planning to do.
    Well, it's "david" here, and "richestgirl" in the other 2 places, and since (s)he only replied again (with the same reply in both places, actually) in the forums that did not delete her/his fake sig, I have a feeling that (s)he won't be back.

I could be wrong though.

-Michael
    Free Image Meta Search
    SEO Tools
    Poetry

Blog Smackdown!
    Skitz is very clear about what behaviour caused him to start this site up. His ego is way too big and fully engaged - rmccarley

It was just too much text. I couldn't read it. - rmccarley

I'm not a prosecutor, but Dave thinks I should play one on T.V.

well it should be updated everyday and the off page optimization must be done regularly...
    I love wine and beer

According to me content should be unique one.

Content Is King

As they say "Content Is King" Updating content is very important to get more traffic. I update my content daily that is also a part of my success in getting more traffic to my site.. Hope that helps

What do you mean exactly with "update daily":
    - change pages
    - tweak pages (details)
    - add pages
    ???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast