+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are the disadvantages to having 2 tracking scripts running on the same page?

Hybrid View

What are the disadvantages to having 2 tracking scripts running on the same page?

I am curious about this. I want to use GA on a site, but it already had Hitslink running. I do not want to give up histlink because it has some features that GA does not do as well. The same applies to GA, it has features that Hitslink does not. Is there any problem if I ran 2 tracking scripts on the same pages? I could use an includ file (footer) and add the code there, or I could do it manually for each page.

What do you think?

I don't see why there would be a problem with it. Load time might suffer a tad but it might not be enough to notice. I'd definitely do it as an includes file but I'm not a designer or coder really so consider the source.

You may want to read this and not rely on GA heavily:
    http://www.aimclearblog.com/2007/08/...d-off-clients/
    Yura

Thanks for the heads up. I will say that I am very familiar with GA as I use it organically for some web sites. There are some things that GA provides that the other does not, but GA has a few things that I know works that I need.

I do not intend on relying soley on GA for this, but I would like to use it, but I am not sure if running 2 tracking scripts on a page (include file footer) would be a problem with SEO. Tracking is essential, but SEO is vital.

I am using GA and Statcounter scripts together... I dont have any issues with the numbers... It may affect the bandwidth but negligible... I felt.

If i lose money I can't blame them.. I should know how to use/relay them.
    Search Engine Marketing India "With a Virtue of being Practical...!!!".
    DD:"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."

It was already said but the disadvantages are speed... if either of those servers which are serving your site should underperform your site could hold up...

Third party analytics are essentially another form of spyware only they are packaged as user beneficial... Its data harvesting and they should be paying you for your information....

Everything you could possibly need is in your log files...

I should add... if your site is not lightning fast you can guarantee that at least at some point in time you have lost a visitor for speed reasons... or at least thats the way I see it...

Running two tracking scripts should not cause a conflict between them. However, as Skitzz mentioned, the more tracking scripts you run, the slower the site loads. I'd say use no more than two, then use the various stats systems offered by your host (which don't slow site loading). This should give you between 3-6 tracking systems and provide the info you need.
    God knows where you are, but Google may not. SEO is the key that unlocks search engine success (and a plugin isn't enough).

Well time has passed and I can say that if anyone was wondering, running 2 scripts site wide have no impact in site speed. I think adding them both was one of the smartest moves I could have made. In a lot of cases, I can double check and cross reference data.

So for those that were not sure, fear not as I have been doing it for a little while now and not a single issue has occured.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Well time has passed and I can say that if anyone was wondering, running 2 scripts site wide have no impact in site speed. I think adding them both was one of the smartest moves I could have made. In a lot of cases, I can double check and cross reference data.

So for those that were not sure, fear not as I have been doing it for a little while now and not a single issue has occured.
    Did you look in FF or IE? IE will load and not hang on the scripts, FF sometimes will.

-Michael
    Free Image Meta Search
    SEO Tools
    Poetry

Blog Smackdown!
    Skitz is very clear about what behaviour caused him to start this site up. His ego is way too big and fully engaged - rmccarley

It was just too much text. I couldn't read it. - rmccarley

I'm not a prosecutor, but Dave thinks I should play one on T.V.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast