+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to detect server OS

Believe it or not, I just picked up a client and their IT guys didn't know what OS or server software their webhost was using. So I wanted both but when I saw it was Apache I pretty much assumed it would be a linux or unix box. Actually it appears to be FreeBSD (they thought it was Windows).

P,S., I don't think I'll rely on their IT guys anymore than absolutely necessary.

If those tools don't work, sometimes you can get the info (or make assumptions) based on the ftp MOTD banner when you log in, but you'd only see that using a proper ftp client. Dreamweaver and other tools often suppress system messages.

You could also telnet to port 25 and see if there's a SMTP server running and look at that banner too.
    Find your company listing on Manta.com and claim it for free - upload a logo, add detailed info, contact info and (seo friendly) links

Pittbug and Michael, thanks. I just wanted some info so I could know the IT guys were blowing smoke (and to let them know I knew it). I should have complete access in a day or two.

HI Friends
    Open the terminal application (bash shell)
    For remote server login using the ssh: ssh user@server-name.
    Type any one of the following command to find os name and version in Linux: cat /etc/os-release. lsb_release -a. hostnamectl.
    Type the following command to find Linux kernel version: uname -r.

salam to all.
    and thanks for replies. through these i am able to know much about how to detect server os.

There are so many methods to detect os server. Some important methods are following.
    a) OS fingerprinting with Nmap
    b) Web Server Information – BrowserSpy.dk
    c) Use hexillion.com
    d) Use centralops.net
    e) Use the ID Serve Tool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2