+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FireFox Google Search Plugin

Post FireFox Google Search Plugin

Many thanks to Pittibug who provided this.

Here are the files, (http://seorefugee.com/forums/mygoogle.src and http://seorefugee.com/forums/mygoogle.gif)they need to be put into the mozilla search plugins folder usually located:

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{profileid}\searchplugins

Or you can put it in the application folder to make it available to all users on your pc:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins

All I did was add 1 line of code and invert the graphic in Photoshop... feel free to edit as you wish. I also added amazon, wikipedia and buy.com to the list of excluded sites. The full list is now:

-site:amazon -site:buy -site:wikipedia -site:kelkoo -site:ciao -site:bizrate -site:pixmania.co.uk -site: pixmania.com -site:dealtime.com -site:dealtime.co.uk -site:pricerunner.co.uk -site: pricerunner.com -site:pricegrabber -site:pricewatch -site:shopping.msn.com -site:resellerratings -site:epinions.com -site:nextag -site: comparestoreprices.co.uk -site:unbeatable.co.uk -site:ebay -site:shopping.com -site:shopbot

If you want to add anymore open the .src and edit away.

Have fun.
    Read the full blog entry.
    Last edited by Wit; 10-18-2006 at 07:57 AM. Reason: fixed stray smilie problem - hope I didn't edit the blog itself here LOL

Skitz, you might want to edit the post to make sure people know what this does. It adds a new option, My Google, to Firefox's search menu. The site's listed are then automatically excluded from Google's search results. Of course you still have the option to use the "traditional" Google or any other search engine.

And, BTW, if you're on a Mac just dump the files into the searchplugins folder buried in the Library - Application Support - Firefox - Profiles - closj4yb.default folder (or something like that).

LOL I just nicked Pittbug's code and made a little Surewannabe search plugin hehehe. Now for step 2

It's a shame that search addon is being distributed with -site:resellerratings because resellerratings is more of a resource than (to me at least) a deterrent for search.

I wrote a blog featuring resellerratings.com about 2 weeks ago, too (the post itself is free of any affiliate links):

The Beginner's Guide to Buying Digital Cameras - http://www.photocritique.us/2006/10/03/the-beginners-buyer-guide-to-digital-cameras/

There are good reasons to feature pages like these, and anyone utilizing the addon "just because my techie friend said it is better for me" may end up missing out on some critical advice or links.
    Last edited by skitzzo; 10-19-2006 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Sorry, no live links allowed for first five posts. Thanks

That may very well be. Thats why its customizable. In the .src file you download you can set it to exclude or include any sites you wish. I know some who don't like the Wikipedia pages. Personally I enjoy them but hey, to each their own.

Oh, and welcome to the board Tamar!
    Last edited by Wit; 10-19-2006 at 10:16 AM. Reason: removed bulky quote of prev post

Thanks for your reaction, Tamar. I'm sure lots of people will look into it again - and maybe reconsider.

PS: I would never block wiki hits myself, skitz. In fact I just use Google to look for certain wiki articles nowadays. Nice and lazy LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Wit
    Thanks for your reaction, Tamar. I'm sure lots of people will look into it again - and maybe reconsider.

PS: I would never block wiki hits myself, skitz. In fact I just use Google to look for certain wiki articles nowadays. Nice and lazy LOL.

There's always the wiki search plugin:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/search-engines/
    Find your company listing on Manta.com and claim it for free - upload a logo, add detailed info, contact info and (seo friendly) links

Thanks all.

I'd be surprised that people would want to filter out Wiki pages... I use them almost exclusively for research purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by tamar
    Thanks all.

I'd be surprised that people would want to filter out Wiki pages... I use them almost exclusively for research purposes.
    Yeah same here although I've heard them complained about. (Probably by people ranking under them in the SE's lol).

Basically its fully customizable to exclude any sites that annoy you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast