+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best method to building a Wordpress theme?

Best method to building a Wordpress theme?

I just finished creating a new layout for a Wordpress blog in Photoshop, and I'm now wondering, for those who've created WP blog themes before, which is the better way to go:

Build the CSS and tables with some dummy content, then substitute code as you go, or hammer out the css, tables and code all at the same time?

I've taken existing WP themes and moved 'em all around, but never made one from scratch before. Any advice is appreciated.

If you already have the content do it all at the same time that way you can make more indepth changes on the fly.

1. Grab some sample data at http://selfconclusion.co.uk/2008/09/...port-download/ so you've got lots of good content to play with.

2. Code your design as though it were just a plain old css template (non-wordpress). Make sure it works as a static design.

3. Convert the static css code to a wordpress template. Something like this might help: http://needforcontent.com/wordpress-template-tutorial/

4. Cross fingers.
    You'll never shine if you don't glow

Donna Fontenot - eBusiness Coach / Consultant.

I'd construct the CSS for the site's basic framework first, since that is stuff that is very unlikely to change: basic colors, content width, column widths, etc. Leave out all the cosmetic stuff.

Once the CSS framework is done, build the rest simultaneously.

That's my 1 cent (the value of my views).
    God knows where you are, but Google may not. SEO is the key that unlocks search engine success (and a plugin isn't enough).

+ Reply to Thread