+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Redirecting hot-linked images (again)

Redirecting hot-linked images (again)

I'm using this to redirect images to a generic alternate image

Code:
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://([a-z0-9]+\.)?myspace\.com/ [NC]
    RewriteRule \.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|bmp)$ toon-redirect.gif [L]
    How would I do it do redirect 10 different sites? Just repeat the whole thing 10 times with the other domain names?

How about changing the...

"if from THEIR site"

...thing to...

"if NOT from YOUR site"

...using the "!" operator?

will that block google images in any way (I don't want to)

I remember someone creating a script to create links to the original website instead of showing some other image. Do you not think that this might be a better way? Or you might try this instead.
    Yura

I've really got to think about whether or not I want to let people use the images. So far I've asked people who used the images without permission to take them down (if they ask, I just ask for a link and copyright notice). At the moment I've got hot-linkers totally redirected to an ad for my site.

I'm beginning to think the solution like Yura suggested to build links. It's a hard call. Anyone got any thoughts?

The best way, IMHO, is simply asking for a link back as an attribution. I think that most won't be reluctant to do that. This way, you get a relationship with a blogger, who may use your images (and link to you) in the future instead of being amazed by links created without his permission and removing the image.

I think that if you want to build popularity with images, you need to *encourage* others to grab them and link back to you (attribution).

You can support this by licensing your images with the appropriate license of Creative Commons (non commercial use with attribution, probably).

The automatic link building maybe helpful, if most people you asked don't link back. Maybe modify the plugin to target specific websites, whose owners have refused to place a link. That'd be a very efficient thingy to have.
    Yura

Or you could use LinkMyPics:

http://www.funscripts.net/javascript-widgets/

As to simply redirecting them, I could develop a solution that redirects everything except if they come from Google or Yahoo, if you want. Email me if you want something like that.

-Michael
    Free Image Meta Search
    SEO Tools
    Poetry

Blog Smackdown!
    Skitz is very clear about what behaviour caused him to start this site up. His ego is way too big and fully engaged - rmccarley

It was just too much text. I couldn't read it. - rmccarley

I'm not a prosecutor, but Dave thinks I should play one on T.V.

Funny how my Firefox (which is reasonably standard when it comes to script blocking etc.) completely ignores scripts like "LinkMyPics" and the "Hotlink 2 Link" WP plugin...

I'd rather turn my pics into php and check for the referrer.

I got a result like Wit using Safari. Also, I think I want to keep redirecting Google images since, once people are only on my site, they tend to stay there longer than if my page is framed.

I think I'm going to wait until the new year so figure out what to do,

+ Reply to Thread