0 0%

0 0%
  • Math

0 0%
  • re-Captcha

2 100.00%
  • WhiteHat

0 0%
  • None - I like spam! It's good with mustard on rye!

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best captcha system is what?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Paulson View Post
    BTW, I don't like re-Captcha - too many times the word is just unintelligible. I like the simple question captchas like Donna.
    Recaptcha has two words. One is the real captcha and one is a word from a text that's being OCRed and the OCR algo can't figure out what the word is. So the scan is taken and put in the captcha so that humans can decipher it and so fix the OCR errors.

See here: http://recaptcha.net/learnmore.html .

Pierre
    eKstreme.com - Are your keywords buzzing?
    Blog of science - learn something new today!

I'd believe that. Here's one I got awhile ago...
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Paulson
    That very small segment of the population (which I imagine is even smaller than the segment I discriminate against in not coding for IE5 et al) is just not worth the investment of time.
    The only thing to really consider is if you're in a European country or if you're a large site or company in the US, you'll almost NEED to have some sort of Accessible version of your CAPTCHA.

I believe one of the first audio CAPTCHAs came from eBay. This was because they were sued for not complying with 508 and it was considered discrimination. Many large companies have been sued and many had to comply.

It's a good FYI. I've worked with quite a few people at various large companies and many don't realize that adding something as simple as a CAPTCHA could be a legal nightmare.

[offtopic]People who sue, suck :P[/offtopic]

No visual CAPTCHA's, even with audio components, are 508 compliant. If it is inaccessible to someone who is both blind and deaf then it isn't compliant, from what I understand. Also the distortion used on audio CAPTCHA's make it difficult for persons who aren't legally deaf but still hearing impaired to determine what they are saying. If it is accessible to them, then it is machine readable by standard readers (ie. has an alt tag, for instance) and is therefore easily broken.

Math CAPTCHA's and the like are fine for blogs and such, not because they offer much protection but rather because most spammers just go for the unprotected blogs. For stuff where there is a larger financial advantage to the spammer, such as signing up for free email accounts, something that could be read by standard accessibility machines would be pointless.

-Michael
    Free Image Meta Search
    SEO Tools
    Poetry

Blog Smackdown!
    Skitz is very clear about what behaviour caused him to start this site up. His ego is way too big and fully engaged - rmccarley

It was just too much text. I couldn't read it. - rmccarley

I'm not a prosecutor, but Dave thinks I should play one on T.V.

Michael, I'm interested in picking your brain on this issue. Again, don't want to sound insensitive and ignorant, but I'll risk it anyway. If someone is both deaf and blind, is their only mode of communication their tactile senses, i.e. braille? Are there braille machines that can interpret websites and present a "scroll" to the braille reader? (This also then begs the question of how they would ever click on a button, but I'll hold of on that for now.) If that were the case, being 508 compliant would preclude almost all flash, correct? Most graphics would also be disallowed, because there's no way alt text is an adequate representation of a pie chart or a photograph.

Thankfully, 508 compliance only applies to federal agencies, because if it applied to the entire webmaster population, nobody would be able to make any websites at all. I'm aware of larger commercial sites being sued over the issue, and frankly, it disappoints me. I choose to sell to who I choose to sell to. If I choose to ignore a certain demographic because pursuing them is not cost effective for our business, I should be allowed to do so. To me, this almost sounds like ADA laws and 508 issues are getting jumbled up. But that's just from the perspective of someone who knows little of each.

Michael, I'm interested in picking your brain on this issue. Again, don't want to sound insensitive and ignorant, but I'll risk it anyway. If someone is both deaf and blind, is their only mode of communication their tactile senses, i.e. braille? Are there braille machines that can interpret websites and present a "scroll" to the braille reader? (This also then begs the question of how they would ever click on a button, but I'll hold of on that for now.)
    Robert, I am not an expert on the subject by any means, but yes, there are in fact braille output devices for the web.

If that were the case, being 508 compliant would preclude almost all flash, correct?
    Flash can be made compliant to my understanding. Adobe has more info here:

Adobe - Accessibility Resource Center

Most graphics would also be disallowed, because there's no way alt text is an adequate representation of a pie chart or a photograph.
    While you may not think that an alt text would be adequate, it does in fact allow compliance.

-Michael
    Free Image Meta Search
    SEO Tools
    Poetry

Blog Smackdown!
    Skitz is very clear about what behaviour caused him to start this site up. His ego is way too big and fully engaged - rmccarley

It was just too much text. I couldn't read it. - rmccarley

I'm not a prosecutor, but Dave thinks I should play one on T.V.

i think captcha is very necessary to get rid of spammers and machines..
    Last edited by Wit; 03-27-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: sig snipped

I think we should use images because it is not as complicated as captcha. This will make it difficult for the spammers to decode it.

BTW, I don't like re-Captcha - too many times the word is just unintelligible. I like the simple question captchas like Donna.
    I'd give rep for this because I agree completely, but I don't see that option any more (see what happens when you're absent too long).
    God knows where you are, but Google may not. SEO is the key that unlocks search engine success (and a plugin isn't enough).

I would prefer math captcha.. although it will take a little effort from the viewer before he o she can access the site, it will definitely ensure you with real results to your website

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2