+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does Google deal with stealing business on the web/trademarks, brand names, etc.

How does Google deal with stealing business on the web/trademarks, brand names, etc.

I'm vaguely aware that Google bans certain sites from using the trademarks or brand names of businesses in web sites that essentially try and steal web traffic via the use of these branding characteristics.

For instance, I don't believe I could get away with a website that was trying to sell EP's bubbly cola soda....if I branded my site with trademark information for Coca Cola or Pepsi. I could market the site in different ways...but as I vaguely understand, I can't use either Pepsi or Coke's logos or trademarks to steal business.

Where does Google write about this? How far do they take this? Can a site be built to rank in phrases that relate to one business , while the site has no content whatsoever about the ranking phrase....other than meta tags and url...and then set up a form contact or form to suck out the business from the existing business?

Is this clear?

Anybody have information on where to go to look this up?

tx

I haven't heard of G doing this. I do vaguely recall that Google doesn't handle business issues.

The only reason that I remember, when Google can ban a site, is if someone copied your content, you can file a DMCA claim, thus telling G that it's your content, he stole it and Google will stop storing stolen content in its index.

From what I understand, there are lots of factors that contribute to trademark strength, time of existence is one of them. You can't use an already existing, trademarked name for a competing company/website and operate under it: it's not just G that'll get on you, there will be lawyers and possibly other nasty creatures.

So no, you can't use someone elses trademark and put them out of business. This will put you out of business under the company/website name that uses a trademarked term/company name.

From what I recall, if a company has an old trademark and you are already using it in your website name, they can choose to take the domain from you, if your domain represents their trademark better. I am not sure, if it only works for competing businesses, but I'd expect it to be so.

You can read about trademarks here:
    http://www.bitlaw.com/trademark/
    http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/

and about DMCA here:
    http://www.google.com/dmca.html
    Last edited by A.N.Onym; 04-23-2009 at 07:38 PM.
    Yura

Thanks Yura:

I simply don't know or don't recall if Google tackles this issue. Of interest it is being tackled somewhat in Google Maps. Of course the best place to follow that is Mike Blumenthal's blog on Goolgle Maps and Yahoo Local. Google maps has plenty of flaws. Besides the innate flaws on information provision which still reflect emerging technology and treatment...competing businesses are stealing local listings that show in maps, redirecting the information, etc. Google recognizes the issues. To date they are of course opaque in their treatment. Possibly they fix a leak but then a new sprouts up.

In any case within local they recognize the issue tangentially in that there is a problem with presenting truthful or untruthful information.

I'm searching for any information on organic google taking down sites with untruthful/negative content of this sort. I am aware of duplicate content issues and of trademark issues.

thanks.

Dave

EP, I think you're thinking of AdWords. They won't permit you to run ads claiming "EP soda is better than Coke!" or "Tastes just like Pepsi!" As I understand it, that's where they prevent those things from happening. As for how they do it - voodoo or something. I was creating an ad that used the word "best" and I had to jump through all kinds of hoops just to get the ad approved, because "best" was a subjective thing that they weren't sure I could claim.

Ah, right.

Google doesn't allow trademarked terms in the AdWords ad text, but you can bid on them (how smart: G makes money on tm, but doesn't let others do it). Ads with trademarked terms simply can't be approved.

This worked perfectly, until Jeremy Schoemaker (Shoemoney) saw an ad with his trademark in the ad text, discovered that it was done by a Google AdWords manager and sued him (not Google).
    Yura

AFAIK G does not worry about website content in this regard. that is handled by the courts. G has worked diligently to get around copyright and trademark law with their Books program and of course Youtube.

Though as mentioned, Adwords gets a different treatment.
    |
    Clue in soon!

+ Reply to Thread