+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Working up to 101 reasons why NOT to use Google

Working up to 101 reasons why NOT to use Google

On occasion, I see people complain that the whole world of web search seems to revolve around Google.

Every "new" search engine is always compared to Google first, even if it aims to be different. Latest examples: Wolfram/Alpha, Bing, Cuil, ummm etc. Every newcomer is expected to be a so-called "Google Killer", and people are disappointed if it proves not to be.

Quite recently - on seo.com - someone asked why people are thinking like that. I'd like to take it one step further: why NOT think like that?

In my opinion, Google is well-established as the benchmark of search. However, I'd like to be convinced that Google - given the right circumstances - is not necessarily the Dog's Bollocks when it comes to web search. I'm hoping that you clever peeps can help me come up with a list. I doubt that we'll reach 101 though, but let's see

I'll start:

1) If you live in China and access to google is blocked, using baidu may well be the next best thing.
    2) The satellite photos on maps.live.com/maps.bing.com are sometimes more detailed and they also have online 3D-view.
    3) MJ made google come to a grinding halt.

Surely there are more reasons, however big or small? I just cannot think of any. Please add to this list.......

Old pages dominate the serps even for searches where you are obviously looking for current information. For instance, one of the top 10 result for Dreamweaver is a training resources for Dreamwaever 4 (Current version is equivalent to version 10).

Would you believe to boycott them because they don't publish their environmental policy on google!

Ok, those are reasons #4 and #5 right there

Google Translate doesn't offer Cherokee as an option.

LOL and the others do? But ok. #6 it is

Unhappy ....

Past replay in my mind,Some can even make me cry,Always wishing I can fly,And gonna touch the blue skyoil paintings
    Last edited by Wit; 07-09-2009 at 05:34 AM. Reason: delinked

Um no, sorry, that's not a good enough reason

What about we don't trust them because they're going into the operating system market!

Well, people will obviously compare something to what is considered the best to date... so, they will compare a new SE to Google... cause if you compare it to lets say altavista... well, you look like you are hitting on a fly... not the best sales pitch...

One thing that makes a difference is often stuff like subdomains dominating searches... bing has a lot of these. It seems to be a fine tuning thing, and the other SE sould just think of a process to clean the first 3 pages properly and THEN, maybe they will sand a chance to take a bite of the market. Cause really... beside webmasters looking for their position in the serps, no visitor really pass the 3rd page.

One thing that has always been, and I doubt it will change, is that power leads to corruption and greed. As long as some are content with what they are getting, all is cool, it's when they wanna pull more juice out of it that the business model changes.
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast