+ Reply to Thread

Thread: News: Verizon wants to charge for midlenet access

Exclamation News: Verizon wants to charge for midlenet access

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601624.html

Not happy with charging at the ends of the Internet, Verizon wants to charge people/companies for the bandwidth use in the midle. This is complete BS and the guy should be slapped. But watch out for more corporate greedsters...

Next they'll want to charge for email...

"The network builders are spending a fortune constructing and maintaining the networks that Google intends to ride on with nothing but cheap servers," Thorne told a conference marking the 10th anniversary of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. "It is enjoying a free lunch that should, by any rational account, be the lunch of the facilities providers."

Opponents have argued that there is no need for such laws because there have been few instances of network providers blocking Web sites; because their customers would not stand for such limitations; and because, as a general rule, regulation of the Internet should be avoided.

"In the Internet world, both ends essentially pay for access to the Internet system, and so the providers of access get compensated by the users at each end," said Cerf, who helped develop the Internet's basic communications protocol. "My big concern is that suddenly access providers want to step in the middle and create a toll road to limit customers' ability to get access to services of their choice even though they have paid for access to the network in the first place."
    |
    Clue in soon!

Both these articles cover the same topic.

The tough part about this is that the telephone companies are not only huge and rich but they are very effective lobbiests for their causes. Incredibly good at it.

One way or the other they will be hitting on the politicians to send more money their way...through the rest of us.

I suppose that's why I don't use a telco...

I used to own an ISP. The telco's are the most scandelous. Even the cable companies oppperate better!
    |
    Clue in soon!

It's so scandelous. You know how cable tv got into manhattan? The technicians wore at&t uniforms and laid all the cable without permits in and out of every building, under-ground, the whole nine. Then of course all the buildings were shocked to hear they were already wired.

That's hillarious!

Talk about thinking out of the box...
    |
    Clue in soon!

I've been doing more digging and came to the conclusion that any public official that votes in favor of tis should be recalled for gross incompetiance and negligance.
    |
    Clue in soon!

Good for you RMC. The telecoms have lots of political clout. For years they get their way.

I got this gut feeling if we were to recall the people that give them what they want most of congress would be recalled. LOLOLOLOL

I'm ok with that.

Passing this would hurt everything from innovation to the economy. It's a damn stupid and greedy idea.

It's backwards.
    |
    Clue in soon!

I prefer to use VoIP for 8 years now and don’t worry about listening to phone calls or stealing my personal data. The thing is that for a long time clone companies began to appear on this market, which were engaged in the delivery of dubious services at very "sweet" prices. I preferred to still use the services of the brand - HotTelecom https://hottelecom.biz/business-voip-solutions.html. The guys have proven themselves in this market and for many years now they have been holding leading positions.

+ Reply to Thread