+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Data refresh

Data refresh

Well, there's a data refresh going on cause I have a site that likes to disapear when they happen and it vanished during the night... it's nowhere to be found, just like on june27...
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...

seems to be happening pretty often these days - sometimes affecting me, sometimes not.
    You'll never shine if you don't glow

Donna Fontenot - eBusiness Coach / Consultant.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzlindonna View Post
    seems to be happening pretty often these days - sometimes affecting me, sometimes not.
    Hi DD !!

Seen all kinds of motions across my sites for the last weeks... The site is completely mute now... funny how the whitest and most productive natural link magnet of my sites gets bashed like this... maybe I should do some black magic for that site... lol
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...

Joc, look for some kind of canonical problem. The last data refresh that blew me out of the water was a problem with a link pointing to index instead of the root. I'm sure there are a thousand other reasons why you might have been booted, but its worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzlindonna View Post
    .....a problem with a link pointing to index instead of the root.
    Can you elaborate a little, Donna?

Sure, expat. There was one rogue link on my site (my fault) that was pointing to www.mysite.com/index.cfm instead of www.mysite.com. Google flipped out, PR got split up between the two, and rankings disappeared. Had to rename index.cfm to something else, do a 301 redirect from index.cfm to the root, and change the rogue link to point to the root. At first, Google picked up on it within hours, and rankings came back. Then, old data was used the next day (I'm assuming) and Google forgot everything it had learned. Several days later, new data was used again (I assume) and Google remembered that index.cfm was now 301'd to the root and all was ok again.

Matt Cutts confirmed on SE Roundtable yesterday that there is indeed a data refresh in progress. They always followup an update with a refresh, and there was an update of some sort the weekend before Thanksgiving.

I'm still looking at what people have to say about the update's effects, as well as evaluating my own sites' performance. Matt has been silent on the issue and I haven't found much useful information.

It appears to me that the update implemented a new link filter.
    Free advice and opinions are provided without any warranties or guarantees. I cannot do anything about the facts.
    http://www.michael-martinez.com/

I haven't dug too deeply into this, but I have some hints that synonyms are being matched similar to each other.

Example: if widget and gadget were synonyms, searching for [red widget] is bringing up [red gadget] matching sites pretty high (I've seen just one #1 result).

But as I said, just a few hints, so consider this speculation! Please feel free to share your test results though

Pierre
    eKstreme.com - Are your keywords buzzing?
    Blog of science - learn something new today!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Martinez View Post
    Matt Cutts confirmed on SE Roundtable yesterday that there is indeed a data refresh in progress.
    Ok.. that confirms that my data refresh detector site is working... lol

Oboy. Another LSI discussion. Let's nip this one in the bud, then, since Google isn't implementing LSI.

Google query for 'dog'

Google query for 'doggie'

Google query for 'canine'

Google query for 'mutt'

Google query for 'puppy'

Google query for 'cat'

Google query for 'feline'

Google query for 'kitten'

Google query for 'kitty'

Call me when they start to converge. We'll do an LSI lunch or something.

General speaking, it's always a mistake to start analyzing the algorithm during the data refresh that follows an update. You have to give the results time to settle down as new sites (or new crawls of old sites) are injected into the database.
    Free advice and opinions are provided without any warranties or guarantees. I cannot do anything about the facts.
    http://www.michael-martinez.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast