Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to tell me why my PR keeps dropping?

Question Anyone want to tell me why my PR keeps dropping?

I have no idea why, but our PR keeps dropping. Our SERPs have continued to go up though and our traffic & unique visitors have gone up tremendously. I know we have tons of links pointing to us in Yahoo (and Google too for that matter) so I can't figure out why our PR keeps going down instead of up. Any theories, speculations, etc as to what PR really means these days. I have stopped paying a whole lot of attention to it because it is depressing.

Assuming you aren't penalized, then it's a matter of an overall downward trend. Kind of like the stock market, if enough stocks go down, they all tend to go tumbling down.

PR for lots of sites have gone down, so the domino effect is in place. If sites that link to you have lower PR, then they are sending lower PR to you, hence lowering your PR.
    You'll never shine if you don't glow

Donna Fontenot - eBusiness Coach / Consultant.

As Donna said, this is the trend. Since PR is a metric used by some to determine link value, one speculation is that G is attempting to tinker with link-selling a bit. This seems very possible to me.

kf
    MULDER: Dr. Varnes believes this burst of energy is responsible for the transformational nature of the experience.

I recently noticed (few months ago) that PR doesn't affect SERP as much as before. If you check PR of first few sites on results, you will see that the top ones will not always have the highest PR. It might work like this always but the differences are now much larger. It's not rare that a site with PR 1-3 shows on top even tough there are sites with PR 6 or more below it. It looks as if google would add some randomness to their algorithm to give chance to sites with lower PR. Together with current trend it might explain what you experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    I recently noticed (few months ago) that PR doesn't affect SERP as much as before. If you check PR of first few sites on results, you will see that the top ones will not always have the highest PR. It might work like this always but the differences are now much larger. It's not rare that a site with PR 1-3 shows on top even tough there are sites with PR 6 or more below it. It looks as if google would add some randomness to their algorithm to give chance to sites with lower PR. Together with current trend it might explain what you experience.
    Thanks for your input and welcome to the board. Glad to have you join us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    I recently noticed (few months ago) that PR doesn't affect SERP as much as before.
    Actually, it has always been like that, but misconceptions about what PageRank is and how it works have always caused people to think differently for some reason.

PageRank doesn't just make your site rise to the top of Google for every phrase imaginable. PR is driven by links, and what you rank for has to do with what anchor text those links have on them.

Say, for instance, you have a PR5 page, and the way it got it's PR is from 200 PR2 links. If 195 of those links have the anchor text of [blue widget], and 5 have an anchor text of [orange gizmo], then all things considered equally you will have much more ranking power for the first phrase rather than the latter.

Suppose now that you are competing with a PR3 page for the phrase [orange gizmo], but that page got it's PageRank from 40 PR2 links using that anchor text. Generally speaking the PR3 page will have much better off page optimization for that one phrase than the PR5 page does, and therefore a better chance of ranking higher.

That's a simplification, btw, and doesn't get into the fact that PageRank is not in real time, or factor in details like domain age, overall authority, over optimization penalties, etc. The point is just that you never could simply say that higher PR means higher rankings, since it's not that simple of a correlation, and you cannot say that Google places less importance on PageRank just from viewing lower PR pages outranking higher PR ones for certain phrases.

-Michael
    Free Image Meta Search
    SEO Tools
    Poetry

Blog Smackdown!
    Skitz is very clear about what behaviour caused him to start this site up. His ego is way too big and fully engaged - rmccarley

It was just too much text. I couldn't read it. - rmccarley

I'm not a prosecutor, but Dave thinks I should play one on T.V.

It is all explained here.

Back in the summer of 2004 a higher page rank meant higher rankings, it was crazy, it was like the search results were sorted by page rank.
    Last edited by Sorvoja; 02-09-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    If you don't know what the frak to do start having more fun!

Part of the answer is that as more and more sites get into the Google index the true value of PageRank increases and more and more numbers have to be squeezed into the ten toolbar PR boxes with the result that boundaries change and the toolbar PR changes with it.

If your rankings are good and increasing don't worry about it. This has the added benefit that you will then have more time to worry about the factors that really make your site rank well.

Nice discussion thanx to all

That's a great explanation, Michael. Make this thread (or your answer) a sticky? I am sure this question will be asked over and over again, esp after a major algorithm change (unless it is total PR removal).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast