+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reditecting old domain to new one.

Reditecting old domain to new one.

What can you say in that topic? My question regards domain age, and possible filters, like sandbox that new domain can pop in.
    Let's say that I have an old domain oldname.com and my company changes it's name and I have to buy a domain: newname.com. Say that olddomain.com hasn't have many backlinks. What if I redirect old domain to the new one and start linking to newdomain.com? Does it gonna pop into a filter or not? If not, can I buy a random old domain and redirect it to any new domain to avoid filters?

All signals will flow though a 301 redirect, but it will never be the same with a brand new domain. There is no right way of doing this, if there is a busy season I would suggest to make the move the first day after the end of the busy season if possible.

If the move is about to happen in e.g. six months then there is some time to put some content on the new domain and build some brand new back links for it. Just to make the move go a bit smoother. But there is no good way for going about this. It is possible to e.g. use 302, have partial moves, gradual moves etc. just to avoid various issues, but at the end of the day it might be just as good to just swallow the bitter pill and make a move, and 301 the old site.
    If you don't know what the frak to do start having more fun!

Will new domain be treated as older than it really is, when I do 301 from older to newer one?

No, it will not but all signals regaring the backlinks and such should stay the same according to one Google engineer I spoke to last fall. Depending on the TLD it might help slightly to register the new domain for the maximum number of years.
    If you don't know what the frak to do start having more fun!

I have a site in global domain, .com , but site has in 90% only Polish target. Will redirecting .com to .pl put me higher in SERPs? .com domain is about 2 years old, if I bought .pl, it would be a new, fresh domain.

+ Reply to Thread