+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copying meta description from other page

Copying meta description from other page

Is it fine to copy text from index.html and put it as meta description on page that is linked from index.html?

Well yes and no.

It might possibly lead to "duplicate content" issues between your pages. Especially if there's not much else for bots to read on those pages. But since they're all your own pages, that's not so bad.

However, if you don't mind people ending up on your homepage one day, and ending up on that internal page the next day, then it should be fine.

It's not so risky that you cannot reverse it if needed
    Hey, DIY your SEO and smile!... Gotta love my host (no kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by RvX View Post
    Is it fine to copy text from index.html and put it as meta description on page that is linked from index.html?
    Are you talking about the "Content Text" or "Meta Description Text" ? If its meta description, I don't recommend you but it it's content text and relevant to page, its nothing wrong in it.

Quote Originally Posted by dominating_seo View Post
    Are you talking about the "Content Text" or "Meta Description Text" ? If its meta description, I don't recommend you but it it's content text and relevant to page, its nothing wrong in it.
    Yes. I meant copying "Content Text" and putting it as "Meta Description Text" on other page that on one the content text comes from.

As Wit mentioned, if you content is limited then no, it's not a smart idea but if you have a good amount of content and your only taking a snippet of the first two or three sentences then I don't see why it would be an issue.

I don't think it would be a duplicate content matter as it's only a snippet and not the whole article and it's not on another website, just in the Meta Description.

Just don't use the same text in the description of every page.

KP
    Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law. - Voltaire

KingPin's SEO Blog (New - Updated daily)

+ Reply to Thread