Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me Twitter

Help me Twitter

OK, I've gotten into Facebook and LinkedIn but I'm a bit confused by twitter (maybe I'm just old). Can you guys tell me how I can use it to improve my life, business or just eat up all my spare time.

I'm particularly confused by how I find the people I might be interested in following.

Unfortunately, I've very little knowledge about that stuff. Frankly, my impression on it is, just as a time killer. Recently I've read this one which you may find helpful: http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/01/15/twitter-seo/
    Search Engine Marketing India "With a Virtue of being Practical...!!!".
    DD:"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."

Oh you've come to the right place to ask your Twitter question, young one!

First, go here - http://twitter.com/DazzlinDonna

Follow me, of course. But then look at all the little pics in the sidebar of who I'm following. Click on the View All link just under them. Scroll thru the list and click on the Follow button of those folks you also want to follow because u know of them thru me (and the rest of us here).

You can do the same with anyone else's group of people that they follow. I'd suggest starting out with maybe 50 or so people.

Next, download a twitter client of some kind. I like TwitKit because it displays in the sidebar of my FF browser, but everyone has their favorites. Using a client is much better than using Twitter's site though, so find one.

Now, use Twitter in much the same way you would use any Instant Messaging client, only now you are IM'ing with a whole bunch of folks at once.

It's best not to judge Twitter for at least a month. You won't get it right away. You kind of have to meld into it over time.

But when the lightbulb goes on, it's bright!

Don't think of it as a marketing tool either. Just use it strictly as a connection tool. The rest takes care of itself.

One other tip for now. When people follow you, I recommend looking at their twitter profile and making a quick judgment on whether or not you want to follow them back. You *should* follow people you don't already know. That makes things even more interesting. But glance at their recent tweets, and their twitter bio, and maybe even click on their bio url. Don't take long - don't overthink it. Just glance, determine if this person might be interesting to you or not, and either click Follow or forget about 'em.

Some of my favorite people now are people who followed me first, I didn't know them at all, but I followed them back cuz they seemed kinda interesting.

Start there. Let the tweets flow for a month, with you occasionally chiming in as you feel like it. Ask questions of us again as you need to. Then, let's talk again a month from now.

Happy Tweeting!
    You'll never shine if you don't glow

Donna Fontenot - eBusiness Coach / Consultant.

In my experience, it is useful as a world-wide chat room, as Donna said. I use it to stay in the course of things, glimpse into what others are thinking/doing. It is best used to start or continue conversations.

For example, you can start by following the bloggers and the people you know personally on Twitter.

First, you may want to just listen and learn how to get around twitter (direct messages, replies, etc).
    Next, you may want to reply to or even DM people.

You can only use it for business, once you have a huge number of followers (5-30k), some within the target audience.

To get more followers, you may want to share useful links or thoughts: people need a reason to follow you.

Otherwise, the only people who follow you, will be someone, who you met personally. Nothing wrong with it: I think getting in touch with the people you've met via Twitter should be fun.

P.S. My twitter account is twitter.com/yuraf, but I don't tweet about SEO
    Last edited by A.N.Onym; 01-21-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    Yura

I was already following Donna and just added Yura. Thanks for the tips!

Pops, think of it as being at a big party. You walk around and choose who to have conversations with and then follow the people you find interesting.

As to how it can help your business or improve your life, that's sort of a big question but a) it helps you network and b) you can tweet out links of your newest cartoon or photo or whatever and the people that follow you will know about it.

For example, I've chatted with Derrick Goold from the PostDispatch quite a few times and I plan on dropping him an email asking for a link over to MLBrumorblog from his blog on stltoday. Will it work? I dunno but he certainly wouldn't have known who I was without twitter.

One thing that's different in real life is that people don't mind (in fact they expect) if you jump into their conversations. For example, if Donna and I are talking about something, and you have input or disagree with something I say (it would be rare I know), reply to my tweet and tell us what you think.

Once you have conversations with people they're more likely to follow you, and then be receptive to any requests you might have in the future, whether it's a link, help looking at a site design, or a digg for one of your cartoons etc.

Added both of you, here's my feed...can't say much more than, well uh -- its my twitter.
    twitter.com/chovy
    Last edited by Wit; 01-22-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: delinked to comply with forum rules :)

I'm sure Pierre will chime in sometime, but I think he's a perfect example on how Twitter can help a business.

He created a specific twitter account @cligs for his URL shortening service, and I think it's been widely well adopted as a way to receive product updates, as well as, start the customer support communications.

If you're looking for a desktop client, check out Twhirl or TweetDeck. Both very popular. I personally like Twhirl and I'm really looking forward to their addition of Ping.fm.

And if you have an iPhone, TwitterFon is a great way to stay in touch while you're on the move.
    Last edited by phaithful; 01-22-2009 at 04:16 PM.

I'm like Pops.....clueless. (no offense meant, Pops) You guys are sooooooo helpful. I'll tell ya...upstairs is so more valuable then looking at the same old recipes for lasagna, down in the showtbocks. Thanks for the guidance.

Pops,

1. What DD said

2. Check this out: How Your Company Can Build A Community on Twitter. I wrote it a while back about my experience of building up the @cligs account.

3. Decide what you want out of Twitter. Common answers are:
    a. Networking. Don't go for raw follower count, but go for quality conversations, especially early on. Once you have that good core of followers, your immediate community will be much more interesting/tailored to you. This is what you want.

b. Ego. It's like ranking number 1 and telling the world about it.

c. Learning. Follow interesting people. This is very correlated to networking.

d. Creating a business channel to communicate with your (very) tech savvy customers/clients. This is very very effective if and only if your customers are on Twitter. A lot of people have not even heard of the service, so by no means you should use it exclusively.

There are others, and the key is that you decide what you want out of it. If you don't know, that's OK - dive in and see what happens. A lot of people create an account and ignore it for months before diving in full time.

In short: persevere as it may take you while to "get it".

And I'm @pierrefar

P
    eKstreme.com - Are your keywords buzzing?
    Blog of science - learn something new today!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast