+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's a low enough percentage?

What's a low enough percentage?

My dad's site is currently set to fit in 800x600 because it was getting about 10-15% of its traffic using that. However, over the last month, that has dropped to 8%.

What percentage is low enough to allow me to increase the width of his site?

Another consideration...
    In the GOP primary, the most dedicated voters are in the 40's and up. In that age group, does anyone know or have an educated estimate if most of them would use 800x600 or smaller? Hopefully smaller (higher res).
    God knows where you are, but Google may not. SEO is the key that unlocks search engine success (and a plugin isn't enough).

I'd figure relatively aged people have older computers and monitors.

I'd stick to it until 1-3%, though, if I had time, I'd still take them into account.
    Yura

Well... if you search "browser statistics" wc3 schools has an excellent browser resolution stats page... you can see how sharp the drop off of 800x600 is... probably directly related to LCD monitors... I don't even think they come in that resolution...

I don't think your going to escpae having to design for that screen resolution for at least another year without losing your design to 10% of your visitors...

It doesn't hurt to have your site stretch in accordance to the monitor width...

Really general statistics, while important when creating a new site aren't nearly as valuable as the actual stats for the site you're working on. The numbers differ depending upon your niche. Here's some actual stats for 2007:

Percent of users with 800x600 monitors for 2007 to date / for July 2007

SEOrefugee.com: 2.01% / 2.01%

NetDetours.com: 10.31% / 7.07%

TOONrefugee.com: 7.34% / 6.08%

This suggests to me that most site have already reached the less than 10% milestone and that less than 5% isn't unrealistic by the end of 2007.

It is, of course your call but would you rather target customers using "modern" equipment or customers who are unwilling to spring for a new monitor?

John, as a general rule I make it work until <2% of the viewers are effected. GOP viewers could be crusty old men that have deep pockets and lousy eyesight.

The better solution is to make it stretch.
    |
    Clue in soon!

Quote Originally Posted by rmccarley View Post
    John, as a general rule I make it work until <2% of the viewers are effected. GOP viewers could be crusty old men that have deep pockets and lousy eyesight.
    I'd guess they also have deep pockets and assistants who buy them BIG monitors. To these guys size does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by rmccarley View Post
    The better solution is to make it stretch.
    There's an obscene joke there but I just can't find it right now. I'll get back to you.

ummmmmmmmm i'd like to ask... if these kinda res setting really help the crowd?

i use my setting fr the my sites. nd i never tought of this fact.

oh!

Ok, it is safe to move away from the 640×480 resolution. 800x600 is tricky, even 8% is every 12th visitor to the site. I would recommend that you design for a higher resolution, but keeps all the important stuff inside the first 800 pixels, to avoid having every 12th visitor have to do horizontal scrolling. The site should be usable for 800x600 visitor without the visitor having to scroll horizontally. Horizontal scrolling kills the user experience.
    If you don't know what the frak to do start having more fun!

+ Reply to Thread