+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New MSN Algo

New MSN Algo

Hey guys, you hijacked my thread and got it closed. Is that fair and right?

The MSN algo comment I made IS new, changes in my area for only about a week, whereas the thread Michael referred to is from February.

Anthony, as a former research scientist, I can assure you that it takes quite a while for research results to go into the big leagues of actual use, and most don't make it at all.

I'm sure that the new MSN algorithm has other features, but to get on the first page where I am, it is pretty clear that having the KW in your domain name (or at least early in the URL) is critical.

expat, I wasn't saying that it was the same update, I was pointing to that thread, specifically meant to point you to post #16 by ep. The fact that they were putting more weight on the url wasn't new is all I meant.

I'm still not sure it is a new algo update though. I was more under the impression that they had dropped part of their index, therefore shuffling the results, as some sites lost backlinks. Did you compare the results you are seeing with the inanchor?

-Michael
    Free Image Meta Search
    SEO Tools
    Poetry

Blog Smackdown!
    Skitz is very clear about what behaviour caused him to start this site up. His ego is way too big and fully engaged - rmccarley

It was just too much text. I couldn't read it. - rmccarley

I'm not a prosecutor, but Dave thinks I should play one on T.V.

I would find it hard to believe that its critical. That would seem to be taking quite a step backward wouldnt it? What makes you think that MSN is giving it more weight? Are you sure the rankings cant be attributed to other factors?

Mike: I can't speak for the web as a whole, but in my area the change is only about a week old. I didn't realize you were pointing me to a specific post, I'll take a look at it. As you might have guessed, my own domain name doesn't match the KWs, and I dropped from #2 position to the second page about a week ago, displaced by sites mostly with the KW match.

Skitzzo: Since these algorithms are cloaked in secrecy, of course I can't be completely sure. However, the high correlation is true for more than one KW/search-phrase, which is highly suspicious.

I might have to start paying more attention to MSN as time goes on... They certainly help while you wait for G... that being said, with the problem of so few good domains available you would think that the SE's wouldnt value the url much... I guess you could always start registering the .us's etc but I hate those for type in traffic...

Expat, would creating a subfolder with of site/keyword/ work for you? is that a viable option?

Mike: OK, read to the end of that thread and see #16 to 20, 23 say the same thing I'm saying now. In my little neck of the woods, it didn't happen in February, but just now.

Skitzzo: The posts on the Feb thread that Mike referred to add extra evidence to the point I'm now making. I'm pretty sure now that I'm (and they are) right. What a crummy SE algorithm MSN must have! Designed by a college student?
    Last edited by expat; 06-02-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by expat
    Mike: OK, read to the end of that thread and see #16 to 20, 23 say the same thing I'm saying now. In my little neck of the woods, it didn't happen in February, but just now.

Skitzzo: The posts on the Feb thread that Mike referred to add extra evidence to the point I'm nw making. I'm pretty sure now that I'm (and they are) right. What a crummy SE algorithm MSN must have! Designed by a college student?
    yeah I just finally went back and read the thread too... that seems stupid and easy to exploit... but thats not always bad

Quote Originally Posted by skitzzo

Expat, would creating a subfolder with of site/keyword/ work for you? is that a viable option?
    I have done that, in a reorg a couple of months ago, to hold some internal pages but the domain-name is the big driver and while the sub-folder does seem to help some sites, it hasn't worked for me.

Expat, the point I am trying to make is the opposite of the one you are making, that it is more complex than you present, you might think you have the answer, but it is being discussed on other forums in much more complexity than is being discussed here, if the members want the link to the other threads that discuss this I can PM them to you so the discussion stays here!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonycea
    ...but it is being discussed on other forums in much more complexity than is being discussed here, if the members want the link to the other threads that discuss this I can PM them to you so the discussion stays here!
    I appreciate that anthony (and dont really mind if you post the links) but can you give us a summary of sorts? What do you mean its more complex?

I suspect its a bit more than just the url as well but havent really spent enough time on MSN to put my finger on things.

P.S. (please PM me the links if you would)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast