+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for potential income

Advice for potential income

Because of a change at my wife's work, we are finding ourselves facing the risk that we'll need to supplement our income starting this summer. Here's where I need your help.

It's preferable the income can be made from home. I'm thinking that something online (of course, right) with ads is best. So, what exactly should I do?

Well, I'm not planning on putting ads on the ministry site (see here). So I've thought of some ideas that may be good.

- Forum
    - Christian version of Digg (using Pligg systems)
    - Something else Christian

To save money, I'd setup a subdomain (subname.jrothraministries.com) since that domain's already hosted and owned (since we may be facing a money crunch soon).

Do you all have some ideas what I can do that's cheap to setup and has the potential to attract visitors? Unlike my ministry site's main stuff, it will have ads on it.

John
    God knows where you are, but Google may not. SEO is the key that unlocks search engine success (and a plugin isn't enough).

Keep it completely seperate. It's less than $60 for the year to get a fresh domain and hosting. I think the Christian Digg is an interesting idea... what would you call it? How about "Saved". But are you able to code at that level? Also, my understanding is Diggers are ad-blind. Not sure if that's the market you want to target. Whatever you decide, get it rolling now while you have time to goof around a bit so that it gets out of the sandbox in time for the real money crunch.
    |
    Clue in soon!

Quote Originally Posted by rmccarley View Post
    Keep it completely seperate. It's less than $60 for the year to get a fresh domain and hosting. I think the Christian Digg is an interesting idea... what would you call it? How about "Saved". But are you able to code at that level? Also, my understanding is Diggers are ad-blind. Not sure if that's the market you want to target. Whatever you decide, get it rolling now while you have time to goof around a bit so that it gets out of the sandbox in time for the real money crunch.

if you like the article you can redeem it, if not you can damn it. HAHAHAHA.
    (hope this doesn't offend you John)

hmm... John to be honest in my experience, making money off ads is TOUGH. However, if you can get a site up, and ranking and driving some traffic to it, you might be able to do well for yourself. I think the Christian digg is an interesting idea, however I'm not sure how much traffic you'd attract.

If you do go the ad's route, I'd suggest diversifying. I'd sell Text Link Ads, and maybe Text Link Brokers as well. Find a few affiliate products that you feel you can support or endorse and then of course use some YPN or if you must, Adsense. If you go with the Digg idea, you're going to be better off selling ads by impression rather than the per click method.

Also, shoot me an email real quick and I'll give you a few more ideas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rmccarley View Post
    I think the Christian Digg is an interesting idea... what would you call it? How about "Saved". But are you able to code at that level? Also, my understanding is Diggers are ad-blind.
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzzo View Post
    hmm... John to be honest in my experience, making money off ads is TOUGH. However, if you can get a site up, and ranking and driving some traffic to it, you might be able to do well for yourself. I think the Christian digg is an interesting idea, however I'm not sure how much traffic you'd attract.
    Both of you seem to say something similar: ad income from a 'digg' market is tough for various reasons. Also, you both find the idea interesting.

RMC:
    The coding issue may be a problem that I have to consider. Hence the desire to seek out ideas, brainstorm some.

Skitzz:
    Traffic and sandbox issues are a concern of mine. I can have all the best ads offering all the greatest products and if there is no traffic, then I get no income. Is there a market for a Christian digg site? Not sure. I do know that Digg.com doesn't have a religous/philosophical section, but ChristianityToday and others have written articles encouraging the use of Digg, Reddit, and other SB sites to generate traffic, interest, and opportunities. However, if these sites aren't open to religious topics, a Christian/religious Digg may have a market, albeit a niche within a larger SB market.

Overall, this is one idea among many that I hope to consider.
    God knows where you are, but Google may not. SEO is the key that unlocks search engine success (and a plugin isn't enough).

Is there a market for a Christian digg site? Not sure.
    IMO the best markets are created. My concern is that if you build it... and make it a success... you will be losing more money than you are making at a time when you need the money.

I think it is a great idea. And easy to market. Now hopefully some sinner won;t swoop in and steal your idea.
    |
    Clue in soon!

John... If you are that close to experiencing a deep and permanent decline in income... going off to develop something iffy that may take a long time, may not solve the problem.

I am not saying to not attempt what has been suggested above, but to possibly augment your income in a surer fashion while you are developing the longer term idea. For example, without placing affiliiate ads or Adsense, is it possible for you to assist your wife with getting into offering Christian based products on a new section of your site, i.e. use what you currently have and do what you know? It is even possible to lay the problem at the feet of your online "congregation" by advising them of the true purpose of bringing in a commercial side to your online ministry. It likely will become successful faster AND you can still develop the other ideas as well.

Bottomline: Most business/investment successes occur by sticking to what you know and/or understand.

I'd agree with SEO-AM. John some of those things we discussed via email will show more immediate results. I think that's going to be the best route is to make sure you're bringing at least some extra cash, while you develop whichever other ideas you go with.

Quote Originally Posted by SEO_AM View Post
    Bottomline: Most business/investment successes occur by sticking to what you know and/or understand.
    That is some sound advice right there.

You have to figure that any new venture is going to take a year to make money (more or less, but usually at least that). Honestly, you'd probably be better off working part time at the local Burger King and developing the site part time until it gains momentum. Don't mean to be a downer, but just trying to be realistic. The first two years I did this whole online thing, I was bringing in a maximum of about $300/month, and those were the really good months. Needless to say, I was dirt poor. Sometimes, reality just has to be faced, and one just has to have the patience to wait for the fruit to ripen. During the growing/ripening stage, something else has to pay the bills.
    You'll never shine if you don't glow

Donna Fontenot - eBusiness Coach / Consultant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast