+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .NET Message Board/Blogs

.NET Message Board/Blogs

Skitzzo,

I had a request to post tips on installing CommunityServer, a free .NET forum/blog app. I thought maybe it should go here in case there are any other MS SEO developers who are looking for something like this - what do you think? If you don't think it belongs in this forum at all, just go ahead and delete it.

Setting Up Telligent Systems' CommunityServer CMS:

If your web apps are developed in .NET with a MSSQL Server back end and you want a free pre-built message board/blog/forum system, I recommend CommunityServer. It's stable, robust, highly customizable, and you can download it either as a compiled app or in uncompiled source code. You can read about Telligent here: http://www.telligent.com or download CommunityServer here: http://communityserver.org/default.aspx

I strongly suggest setting it up using the defaults first (DB name = CommunityServer, site in inetpub/wwwroot/CS ==> http://localhost/CS) and running the installer wizard (http://localhost/CS/Installer/Default.aspx).

You can play around with customization there and then try importing it into your main web project.

here's a key tidbit for setting it up under a different web root directory:

- If you try to run CS on Url other than localhost/cs (ie, the first paramater for cs_system_CreateCommunity), you must add the
    new Url using: exec cs_system_AddNewUrl 'localhost/cs', 'NEW_URL'

Most UI customization occurs by modifying files in the Themes directory. Any specific questions can be posted here and I'll try to answer them to the best of my limited ability.

looks like a great post for me. Not sure if it quite fits here but I cant think of any other place for it so we will leave it where it is. Thanks for the info nutkeis!

Can you take away the default home page and make the list of forums your home?

The easiest way to do that is to change the default page to a 301 redirect

Thanks. I've been playing around with it for the past week and it has loads of features. We should get our license details through today so I'll build up some content over the next couple of weeks and get it live!

Just out of curiosity, have you tried downloading the source code yet and playing around with it? I've been meaning to do that for a couple weeks now.

I don't deal with code, thats for the father-in-law. I'm sure he will. I'm trying to get him to jump on and post here.

I've posted on the CS forum but I haven't got an answer yet. I'm trying to set up the email activation but there's no radio button for it. It says you can do it but I can't get how. Have you got this set up?

Thanks for the post nutkies. Ive been thinking about creating forums for my website and your post came in just in time saving me tons of time. Did you try this yourself? What is your personal experience?
    "This is business: the light at the end of the tunnel is usually an oncoming train!"

Ok, I've got the software and already installed it. I went with Manual Installation. Had some minor problems but they were all quickly resolved. I will need more time to play with it but from the first look it is very impressive.
    "This is business: the light at the end of the tunnel is usually an oncoming train!"

Email activation for what? Approving new members? If I recall correctly, I got that set up but it just didn't work. I'll take another look at it today.

Ah, here we go... Go to Admin > System > Configuration and make sure your mail settings (esp. SMTP server) are set correctly. Unfortunately, I don't see any other way of viewing the email queue than by looking directly in the DB (CommunityServer.dbo.cs_EmailQueue)

Update: After getting that set up and testing it, I checked my CS error logs. I got the following error message.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004020F): The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response was: 550 5.7.1 ... Relaying denied: You must check for new mail before sending mail.
    Last edited by nutkeis; 12-21-2005 at 06:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast