Thread: Dollar value of a non nofollow link?

Dollar value of a non nofollow link?

I've got a sports blog, and around this time every year, increasing with each year, I get interest from advertisers. Usually ticket scalpers, err, brokers, sports gambling sites and merch sites for the team the site is about. This year we've had more interest than usual and will probably ink a fifth advertiser to an ad deal (but don't get too impressed, the dollar amounts are peanuts).

Most want text links and thus far I've never been opposed to it, but I'm starting to get a little worried about the site beginning to look like a text link broker to the SE's and getting smacked down like so many blogs have. I think some of these sites are purchasing these links as much (if not more) for the link juice as they are for the traffic we get.

So I've been thinking about having a varied pricing schedule - higher dollars if the links are not nofollowed, discount price if they are. But the thing I don't know is, how much premium would one expect to pay for uncondomed links? Or conversely, how much to discount for a nofollowed link?

I'm betting someone has run across this and has some hard and fast numbers. Or some loose and dirty numbers. Whatever. Like I said, I'm not talking about huge dollars here, but I'd like to get this handled, in case the dollar figures grow.

Thanks in advance

If I were you, I'd go browse the marketplace at one of the text link brokers and see what the going rates are for sites in your niche and with similar "strength" as yours.
    You'll never shine if you don't glow

Donna Fontenot - eBusiness Coach / Consultant.

I would be really careful about advertising on the site that there is a different cost for follow and no follow links. It sounds like then you have the option of selling link juice which as you probably know Google does look to kindly on

You could maybe do it where they request information and you than give them the option, however Im paranoid when it comes to Google lol So that could be tricky as well.

Hi Robert, without knowing the specifics about your site and your advertisers, I'd speculate that you're right in thinking that "some of these sites are purchasing these links as much (if not more) for the link juice as they are for the traffic we get."

And, I don't know the details, but, I'd be somewhat surprised if too many are buying for direct traffic... it's your gig, so, you're the expert on it ... but, I think, generally speaking, buying links is about trying to improve rankings... I know speaking for myself that the links I've bought from blogs that get traffic are about trying to rank some queries more than some direct click-throughs.. and, if I do want that, I'll bid some Adwords .

Anyway, if it were me, I wouldn't go the route of a different pricing scale for followed or no-followed... I wouldn't even sell plain sidebar links or whatever.. I'd do the sales in the form of a paid review that bypasses the whole blog review middle man ....... the way the world looks to me, you can pretty much by-pass a penalty if you write articles in your niche that link out to non-sketchy sources that are also in your niche... the algorithms may sometimes have some impressive judo; but, they cannot read minds ... right..
    kf

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Paulson View Post

Most want text links and thus far I've never been opposed to it, but I'm starting to get a little worried about the site beginning to look like a text link broker to the SE's and getting smacked down like so many blogs have. I think some of these sites are purchasing these links as much (if not more) for the link juice as they are for the traffic we get.

So I've been thinking about having a varied pricing schedule - higher dollars if the links are not nofollowed, discount price if they are. But the thing I don't know is, how much premium would one expect to pay for uncondomed links? Or conversely, how much to discount for a nofollowed link?
    MULDER: Dr. Varnes believes this burst of energy is responsible for the transformational nature of the experience.

If it's nofollowed then it's basically an ad for traffic. If you have adsense on the page, look at your ecpms and price accordingly. i.e. don't price below the adsense ecpm because it's not worth your time.

Chances are that most of the ppl that want to buy the links want them for the juice and most will shy away from a cpm model.
    Find your company listing on Manta.com and claim it for free - upload a logo, add detailed info, contact info and (seo friendly) links

Most link buyers buy for link juice. The one that contacted me wanted to, too.

Technically, I'd agree that a paid review (without involving a 3d party site) is a good option, but it is only one page, not sidewide, and you choose to sell text advertisement in a form of a 2-3 sentence description and a link to the advertiser instead. It will not only drive more direct traffic to the advertiser, but it wouldn't be viewed upon (at least by the visitors and SEOs), that you are actually selling links.

The only problems could be:
    - the advertisers write crappy, keyword stuffed ad copy, so it's still seen as selling links
    - Google won't buy it and still penalize you for linking to other relevant sites (does it know you accept money to link out? How?)

Again, if you make a good profit from your site, I wouldn't sell direct links without descriptions for peanuts.
    Yura