+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing Between 2 Forums

Choosing Between 2 Forums

phpBB2
    SMF

Do you know if one has a major advantage/disadvantage over the other?

I tried out phpBB. It seemed to work fine and be relatively simple to set up. I'd use it again on a site that I wanted a free forum. I like vBulletin a lot more but then it costs $160.

I have deleted phpbb and swear i would never ever go near it again.
    It is the worst forum choice you could ever have and if its not manual hackers causing problems its their port scanners picking up all the script and trying to do sql injections.

VB is good but people are moving away from it to SMF
    I have two installations of VB and about 4 SMF now and i swear by it.

Yep, I agree. Too many hackers target phpbb. For now, at least, they aren't as interested in smf. I have several forums that use smf and have always liked it. Only recently ponied up for vbulletin, and while it is good, it's not worth the money in every situation. Depends on how much robustness you need.
    You'll never shine if you don't glow

Donna Fontenot - eBusiness Coach / Consultant.

I think you need to think about those who use the forum and what they like first, when it comes to that vBulletin is much better and that is my bottom line!

SMF and IPB are good boards, but I like the user features on vB much better than both of them!

The robustness you mention Donna.
    For some reason i still consider SMF to be slightly inferior to VB and i cant really put a reason on it.
    I like SMF and i use it and will keep on using it but it does seem a bit erm,,,,, light,, not as chunky as VBulleting.
    I havet explained it very well becasue i dont know what i mean but i just think that i think something.

PhpBB is a nightmare at least for me. Not to mention i hate the look of it.
    SMF is much lighter and cute

I had PHPBB on SEOLogs.com and I recently had to dissable it because spammers were creating fake profiles and leaving some really obvious automatic spam posts.

I would agree that PHPBB is too vulnerable.

I had my site taken down by the hosting company with phpBB once, but the update fixed the vulnerability. I recommend this vBulletin. I think you can get it for free if you keep all of their stuff on it. Then again, I may have been a little too drunk when I was looking at the website last night??

Thanks, SMF it is. I'm starting my first blog/forum, it's not a pretty site yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast