Spare Change? Ten Adsense Alternatives
I recently implemented Adsense on a new site and, checking the results, I learned that yesterday I had two clicks for a total of three cents. As it turns out, I also made ten cents yesterday by picking up a dime off the parking lot at McDonalds.
So my earnings summary for the day looks like this:
Page Impressions: 166, Clicks: 2, Earnings: $0.03
Parking Lot Impressions: 1, Pick-ups: 1, Earnings $0.10
Now, being totally honest, I have to admit that my site averages a bit more than ten cents a day on Adsense so perhaps the comparison isnâ€™t fair. On the other hand, picking up change in the parking lot (while it does require bending over â€“ always a risky proposition at my age) is less effort and doesnâ€™t require dealing with ISPs or a high-speed Internet connection.
So before I invest a lot of time optimizing my site for Adsense and boosting traffic I thought Iâ€™d explore my options. Hereâ€™s my Top Ten Adsense Alternatives and their results:
- MacDonalds parking lot: 10Â¢ but Iâ€™m thinking of expanding to other fast food joints and maybe doing a little DTO (Drive Through Optimization) to drive traffic.
- The â€œpenny potâ€ next to the cash register at the convenience store: 1Â¢ but I had to spend 96Â¢ to get it.
- Checking vending machines for forgotten change: 0Â¢, life was better when there were more pay phones around.
- Couch and chair cushions: 17Â¢ â€“ might improve if I start entertaining a bit more.
- Laundry: $1.27 â€“ the occasional dollar bill makes pants pockets a potential cash cow.
- Car seats: 12Â¢ plus a 37Â¢ bonus from the cupholder.
- Pitching pennies down by the school yard: I lost 13Â¢ (Julioâ€™s good).
- Fountain fishing: $2.78 plus an embarrassing run-in with mall security.
- Recycling beer cans: Iâ€™ll get around to it eventually. In the mean time, this Budâ€™s for you, Google.
- Panhandling: $2.00 but Iâ€™m saving to buy a squeegee!
LoL – now the question is can you scale it?
Hmmm the fountain thing is a bit blackhat, don’t you think? :)
#2 – That’s a very poor example of arbitrage
AdSense = $0.03
McDonalds = $0.10
AdBux = you’ve read it on my blog, have you joined? :P
You forgot gas station parking lots (GSPLO) where you can often find a minimum of 0.01 per impression.
I’ve always been confused when I see things such as “3 clicks for $0.04”. I thought there was a minimum of a nickel per click or something?
The world needs more of these types of blog posts.